For many of us Christmas is a time for giving. We buy family and friends gifts and we enjoy get-togethers where we share fine food, beverages and good company. But, not everyone is as fortunate…
Christmas is a Time to Share
We call Australia ‘the lucky country,’ and yet, in Australia 1 in 200 people are homeless and 1 in 7 Australians live below the poverty line. Worldwide poverty is more prevalent, as it’s estimated that 50 percent of the world’s population lives in poverty and on less than $2.50 a day.
Helping to Make Christmas More Enjoyable For Everyone
You can make Christmas more enjoyable this year by being more charitable. You may even put a smile on a complete stranger’s face who may not be able to afford gifts or even food this Christmas.
Some of the simplest and most effective charitable acts are as follows:
1. Give a Buck – Care Australia give you the opportunity to donate a pair of bucks to a complete village water system, amongst other items. This then helps families living in poverty to lead a cleaner and healthier life at Christmas and well into the New Year.
2. Support the World Wild Life Fund – Adopt a four-legged friend and save an endangered animal by supporting animal conservation. All donators receive a plush soft toy and animal adoption papers as a keepsake of their support.
3. Donate – The Smith Family, Red Cross, Salvation Army and other humanitarian based organisations enable you to help others have a warm place to sleep at night and food at Christmas. Many of these organisations also pass-on the Christmas spirit and heart-felt warmth to those who many not have anyone to spend Christmas with.
4. Volunteer – There are 100s of ways you can volunteer over Christmas. For example, you can help cook or deliver meals, or you can offer to hand out food and clothing packages.
5. Give blood – While we don’t like to think about illness and suffering over Christmas, there are others who need the gift of life. By donating 1 pint of blood you can save 3 lives and possibly give someone the best Christmas gift they have ever received.
eChoice is making a difference this Christmas by helping others. You can too. The personal rewards are extensive.
Written by eChoice